Thursday, April 04, 2019

America the Beautiful by Ray Charles

Oh beautiful, for heroes proved,
In liberating strife,
Who more than self, our country loved,
And mercy more than life,
America, America, may God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain devined.
And you know when I was in school,
We used to sing it something like this, listen here:
Oh beautiful, for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties,
Above the fruited plain,
But now wait a minute, I'm talking about
America, sweet America,
You know, God done shed his grace on thee,
He crowned thy good, yes he did, in a brotherhood,
From sea to shining sea.
You know, I wish I had somebody to help me sing this
(America, America, God shed his grace on thee)
America, I love you America, you see,
My God he done shed his grace on thee,
And you oughta love him for it,
Cause he, he, he, he, crowned thy good,
He told me he would, with brotherhood,
(From sea to shining sea).
Oh Lord, oh Lord, I thank you Lord
(Shining sea). 


YOU BELIEVE IT WHEN RAY SINGS IT...

2 comments:

Aaron said...


Wow. He should have written in some good ironic lyrics that expressed how “awesome” it is to live in America as a black man in the 1950’s. It’s kinda awesome that he didn’t. Makes me love him. He was also blind as a bat which is amazing. Ray Charles is a rad rad dude. Makes me not want to put my blind dog asleep. If he could play piano like ray I would let him live.

Pirate Aggro said...

Wow... Your ignorance is astounding... let me explain... A dude can sing a song, without having written it. It happens all the time. Also. The lyrics were written as a poem titled Pikes Peak in the 1800s about, if you can believe it, the view from Pikes Peak. The music was added 20 years later. How bout just putting your dog in a shelter where someone loving can adopt it? Nah, that wouldn't be negative enough. Sheesh!