Sunday, June 21, 2020

Penny Lane by The Beatles

In Penny Lane, there is a barber showing photographs
Of every head he's had the pleasure to know
And all the people that come and go
Stop and say, "Hello"
On the corner is a banker with a motorcar
And little children laugh at him behind his back
And the banker never wears a mac
In the pouring rain, very strange
Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes
There beneath the blue suburban skies
I sit, and meanwhile back
In Penny Lane there is a fireman with an hourglass
And in his pocket is a portrait of the Queen
He likes to keep his fire engine clean
It's a clean machine
Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes
A four of fish and finger pies
In summer, meanwhile back
Behind the shelter in the middle of the roundabout
The pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
And though she feels as if she's in a play
She is anyway
In Penny Lane, the barber shaves another customer
We see the banker sitting waiting for a trim
And then the fireman rushes in
From the pouring rain, very strange
Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes
There beneath the blue suburban skies
I sit, and meanwhile back
Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes
There beneath the blue suburban skies
Penny Lane!


2 comments:

Dan Tschirhart said...

Now this song made it onto my second ever Beatles tape

I played my first 2 Beatles tapes into dust & this song always made me happy

I didn't get all the British slang, & it seemed like an odd road, but it was so damn catchy

~well, by Jove I wanted to pay it a visit!

I thought it rained a lot on this street in particular - later in life to realize, no that's just England

Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields Forever were both intended to be on Sgt. Pepper's

But their label wanted a new single ahead of the album

So they released both songs as a Double A single

The Beatles had a policy of omitting previously released singles from albums, so they didn't make the cut

I wonder where they would've fit?

A year later, to the Beatles displeasure, both songs were thrown on the U.S. version of Magical Mystery Tour


Aaron said...

i feel sad for ringo. he is too small for that big horse. also paul mcartny looks like a mouse with that mustache. kinda reminds me of Dr. Desoto. i think it's rude that they ride all that way to have some tea and those nice roadies dress up to serve them and then they just turn the table over and wreck everything. i suppose that's how musicians roll.