Thursday, August 27, 2020

Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty

 She grew up in an Indiana town

Had a good-lookin' mama who never was around
But she grew up tall and she grew up right
With them Indiana boys on them Indiana nights

Well, she moved down here the age of eighteen
She blew the boys away, it was more than they'd seen
I was introduced and we both started groovin'
She said, "I dig you baby, but I got to keep movin' on
Keep movin' on"

Last dance with Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain
I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again

Well, I don't know, but I've been told
You never slow down, you never grow old
I'm tired of screwin' up, tired of going down
Tired of myself, tired of this town

Oh, my my, oh, hell yes
Honey, put on that party dress
Buy me a drink, sing me a song
Take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long

Last dance with Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain
I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again

There's pigeons down on Market Square
She's standin' in her underwear
Lookin' down from a hotel room
The nightfall will be comin' soon

Oh, my my, oh, hell yes.
You got to put on that party dress
It was too cold to cry when I woke up alone
I hit my last number, I walked to the road

Last dance with Mary Jane, one more time to kill the pain
I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Somehow i've managed my whole life without ever seeing this music video until now. man. he should have waited a few more seconds and then he could have seen her wake up. probably all for the best though since he was obviously a creepy dude. she would be better off without him. I remember Tom Petty made a rad video with Alice in wonderland and they ate his cake body. cant remember the song though. Tom petty made some good songs. simple and good. I read that he turned down the music for boys of summer cuz he thought it was lame so the song writer sold it to Don Henly. Oooops.


Dan Tschirhart said...

Growing up, Petty was on MTV with another video every couple of months

He was always on, and I was pretty much indifferent to his music

I remember I didn't like the song Refugee partly because of the video

Over the years though, he kinda grew on me and Full Moon Fever was when he hit his stride

I had the chance, many years later, to see him at Red Rocks and it was a great show!

He had this magic chest on stage filled with props that would each lead to the next song

It's on my list of best shows at Red Rocks

With the exception of the songs off his latest album at the time ~

You knew every song and most of the words too, somehow - it was brilliant

Plus he was from Gainesville Florida, where both of my Uncles lived when I was a kid

Had some great vacations there when I was young - rafting down the crystal clear Ichetucknee

I think Boys of Summer was meant for Don Henley - it fit the cut of his gib

I remember the cake video, oh and how about the animated Runnin Down a Dream?

Petty was a classic, plus he was a Travelin Wilbury, so he'll always be cool in my book

If this song is about a lady, well then it's pretty sad

If this song is about pot, well then it makes sense


Pirate Aggro said...

The Tom Petty vid I remember from childhood was "You Got Lucky Babe". People always said Tom was ugly. I always thought he just looked like a regular guy. Now if you want ugly I say look at the lead singer of the Cars. I would even hazard Mick Jagger. But it don't matter in rock and roll. As Dire Straights put it well "You get your money for nothin' and the chicks for free." Jagger was married to that hot model that got her face burnt off by Joker in the first Batman movie.