Saturday, March 05, 2022

Calling Out To Carol by Stan Ridgeway

 Calling out to carol

She could really twist the screws
What'cha doin' monday
And are you back on the booze?
Now, I've been dooin' some thinkin'
About colorado springs
A dirty denim jacket
And a seven-dollar ring
Well, I've been keepin' busy
I've got lots of pots boiling on the stove
Who's that in the background
I'm sorry that I asked guess I should have known
Callin' out to carol on the telephone call
Message on a wire comin' through a wall
Talk about old times but not too long ago
Carol was the girl that everybody got to know
When'd you change your number? hey, carol!
It's different than you had
Have you got protection?
I know some police are bad
But that's not why I called you up, now
You know I quit that scene
I told ya 'bout your pictures
I guess I'll buy that magazine
And I still remember
All those days we spent alone
You went one way while I went the other
Sometimes, I guess, that's the way things go
When they called me in the morning
And told me that she'd gone
I didn't want to hear it
So I just hung up the phone
Callin' out callin' out to carol
Callin' out callin' out to carol
Callin' out callin' out to carol
Callin' out to carol
Callin' out to carol on a telephone call
Message on a wire comin' through a wall
Is this line in service operator says no
But carol was a girl that everybody got to know

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Jesus h CHRIST. When you write songs about specific people it is awesome if you happen to me named Carol, but it makes the rest of us all feel excluded from the song. It’s sad cuz there are some good songs with names in them but they always make me sad in the end. Aileen, Jude, Sarah. There are many. Sad musicians need to share their personal songs with the public. Also this guy has no lips.
Also, I have never heard this song before.

Dan Tschirhart said...

I've never heard this song before either

But I recognized the voice - He was the singer of Wall of Voodoo

'I'm on a Mexican radio'

I agree with Berv on this one in that songs with a name as the title usually hits a very limited audience

The person with the name may or may not like it

But you know people sing that song to them throughout their entire lives

My belief is that if you're gonna use a name in the title, you better make sure it's a great song

There are some great ones out there

~ Louie Louie, Mack the Knife, Michelle, Lovely Rita, Angie, Cecilia, Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Marcella, Runaround Sue, Tom Dooley,

Sweet Caroline, Fernando, Come On Eileen, Mrs. Robinson, Barbara Ann, Wind Cries Mary, Buddy Holly, Hey Jude, Jaime's Cryin,

Johnny Be Goode, Levon, Roxanne, Ruby Tuesday...

But with all these great songs, there's an almost infinite amount of bad ones out there

So I guess it comes down to hoping that the songs with your name in the title, turn out to be great

Or you could write one yourself, but it would be weird writing a song with your own name

That's like giving yourself a nickname, it's just something you don't do

Pirate Aggro said...

Man... It is obvious Dan put a little thought. Aaron just lashed out like an old skinny tiger in a roadside zoo in Oklahoma.