Sunday, April 17, 2016

Johanna by Stephen Sondheim

I feel you, Johanna,
I feel you.
I was half convinced I'd waken,
Satisfied enough to dream you.
Happily I was mistaken,
Johanna.
I'll steal you, Johanna,
I'll steal you.

 I'll steal you, Johanna,
I'll steal you.
Do they think that walls could hide you?
Even now, I'm at your window.
I am in the dark beside you,
Buried sweetly in your yellow hair!
I feel you, Johanna,
And one day I'll steal you!
Til I'm with you then,
I'm with you there,
Sweetly buried in your yellow hair!

AH, YOUNG LOVE

6 comments:

Aaron said...

I remember Aaron Estes singing this song in voice workshop. I learned from watching him that even a good singer can sound lame. All you have to do is sing Steven Sondheim. How did Sondheim become so popular. He hasn't written one good song. Ever. No melody. Just random notes up and down. Duh duh. I'm a "song writer ". Duh

Pirate Aggro said...

Lame

Dan Tschirhart said...

So depending on who you ask, Sondheim put out 19 to 23 major musicals

I've seen,,,two of them (West Side Story and Sweeney Todd)

Sweeney Todd was cool, & West Side Story was...gleeful, but you can't argue it didn't help inspire 'Grease'

And I do plan on watching Into the Woods, so that would make 3

Just think, without Sondheim, we wouldn't have had the pleasure of Aaron Reynolds singing "Medea'


Pirate Aggro said...

Dan, thank you for your thoughtful and well reasoned comment. Berv would not know Sondheim if he ran up and bit him on the ass. It is frankly amazeing that he ever had anything to do with theatre let alone being a theatre major. Oh well.

Aaron said...

I have done plenty of Sondheim. Hated every second of it.

Pirate Aggro said...

Lame