Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Purple Toupee by They Might Be Giants

 remember the year I went to camp
I heard about some lady named Selma and some blacks
Somebody put their fingers in the President's ears
It wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's wax
I remember the book depository where they crowned the king of Cuba
Now that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else
Way down inside me I can feel it coming back

Purple toupee will show the way when summer brings you down
(Purple toupee when summer brings you down)
Purple toupee and gold lame will turn your brain around
(Purple toupee and gold lame)

Chinese people were fighting in the park
We tried to help them fight, no one appreciated that
Martin X was mad when they outlawed bell bottoms
Ten years later they were sharing the same cell
I shouted out, "Free the Expo '67"
Till they stepped on my hair, and they told me I was fat
Now I'm very big, I'm a big important man
And the only thing that's different is underneath my hat

Purple toupee will show the way when summer brings you down
(Purple toupee when summer brings you down)
Purple toupee and gold lame will turn your brain around
(Purple toupee and gold lame)

Purple toupee is here to stay after the hair has gone away
The purple brigade is marching from the grave

We're on some kind of mission
We have an obligation
We have to wear toupees

I WAS TO HAVE SEEN TMBG TONIGHT AT THE OGDEN. THE FRIGGIN BLIZZARED RUIND THAT. NOW I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL JULY. THIS SONG IS FOR DAN. AARON HATES MUSIC. HIS PROSTATE AND HEMROIDS MAKE HIM CRANKY. HE HAD ROIDS RAGE.

5 comments:

Dan Tschirhart said...

I'm sad you missed the blizzard show, but on the bright side, I'm coming with you to see the show In July! Huzzah!

I have such fond memories of this song, and the whole album 'Lincoln' for that matter, it was a treasure trove of gems.

I just love the idea that when you've got the summer blues, a purple toupee will get you out of your funk.

That just makes so much sense.

We're on some kind of mission. We have an obligation. We have to wear toupees. - Brilliant!

Aaron said...

Wow. I never knew there was a video to this song. Man this song makes me so happy. It almost makes me shake off my cloudy haze of stagnation and want to live again. This song was the soundtrack to some of my happiest memories

Pirate Aggro said...

Yes a purple toupee would go a long way towards solving the world's problems. Right now we only have a blond toupee on trump and that is just pathetic. That and his orange skin. Why does he have orange skin?

Pirate Aggro said...

Also, in the new pee-wee Herman movie Pee-Wee sports a toupee shaped like a helicopter made out of hair that really flies. Its how he meets the woman with the flying car who agrees to take him to new York. Wackiness ensues. Well wackiness had already been ensuing throughout.

Aaron said...

Lame. Pee wee is lame