Thursday, November 16, 2023

Girl on a Wing by The Shins

 One wound up punch of intuition

Lays flat my whole take on usYou're the girl on the wing of a barnstormerThe tidal rabbit who came of age before her time
Could have been so good-naturedIf I'd relented when you insistedBut we've been backed againstAll nature's walls for too long
You felt abandoned by meI recall the sunshine as you were meltingAnd though the comedy softens the fallThey still hear us with their ears to the wall
I sold all my evil motivesNo icicles stuck in my hideI'm through with riddles, I know we're littleJust help me feel warm inside
Before we take this ride and let it slideInto the cracks where fall and winter collideI surrender all my gall in a song of modern loveRemember you're the one who summoned me above any other kindAny other kind
Could have been so good-naturedIf you'd relented when I insistedWe take a week off, let the garden grow by itselfAnd let the gluttons fill themselves with all the worst of the gory ninetiesAnd though the comedy softens the fall, we still fall short
Before we take this ride and let it slideInto the cracks where fall and winter collideI surrender all my gall in a song of modern loveRemember you're the one who summoned me above any other kindAny other kind

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Girl on a Wing mean she is flying ? This song sounds like a Fresnels song. Yes. Gardens don’t grow unless you work at them. But weeds seem to grow with no problem. It’s sad that you can’t just eat weeds. I agree kids are utterly useless

Dan Tschirhart said...

'One wound up punch of intuition

Lays flat my whole take on us'

~ What a great opening line that just take you by the hand and brings you into it's odd little cosmos

A strange, wonderful tune that does sound a bit like a Fresnels song, now that you mention it

The lyrics don't make much sense, but there a some good lines in there and it's catchy

'Before we take this ride and let it slide, into the cracks where fall and winter collide'

Well, barnstormers were pilots that performed 'aerobatic' death-defying stunts in the 1920's

So if she was on the wing of one, maybe that meant she was the sidekick or best friend

I just picture a 1920's plane flying over my house with a girl on the wing laughing somewhat maniacally

This is on the list of songs that randomly pop into my head every so often

The good list, that is


Pirate Aggro said...

I imagine the girl laughing maniacally clining to the wing of a bi-plane as it deathdefyingly flys throug a barn is Tiersa.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Hell yes