Saturday, February 07, 2015

Standing Outside A Broken Phonebooth With Money In My Hand by Primitive Radio Gods

Jan lays down and wrestles in her sleep.
Moonlight spills on comic books
And superstars in magazines.
An old friend calls and tells us where to meet.
Her plane takes off from Baltimore
And touches down on Bourbon street.

We sit outside and argue all night long
About a god we've never seen,
But never fails to side with me.
Sunday comes and all the papers say:
Ma Teresa's joined the mob
And happy with her full time job.

Am I alive or thoughts that drift away?
Does summer come for everyone?
Can humans do what prophets say?
If I die before I learn to speak,
Can money pay for all the days I lived awake
But half asleep?

I've been downhearted, baby,
Ever since the day we met.

A life is time, they teach you growing up.
Seconds ticking killed us all
A million years before the fall.
You ride the waves and don't ask where they go.
You swim like lions through the crest
And bathe yourself in zebra flesh.

I've been downhearted, baby,
Ever since the day we met.

LISTEN AND LEARN

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I woukd love to do a study of songs written in the 60's and 70's vs. songs written today and see if there is an underlying thematic difference. Why is it that songs written today do not seem to resonate as much as songs written years ago ?

Pirate Aggro said...

To start with, this song is from the 90s. Popular songs are exactly the same as they always have been. Time is the best filter. Over the years the crap music is forgotten and what remains is the good stuff. I think we also relate to the music of our formative years so the time you refer to is closer to your formative years than the current music.

Aaron said...

But also songs today generally suck