Monday, February 04, 2019

Hurt by Nine Inch Nails

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end
You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of shit
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

What have I become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end

You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way 





3 comments:

Aaron said...

Nine inch nails makes me want to die. It is the antithesis of all things good. It is hell. The worst thing ever created. Anyone who likes this is a stupid fuck.

Dan Tschirhart said...

Oh lighten up, Francis - this is a great song, actually it's arguably their best

Nine Inch Nails had some good songs in the early years, Trent Reznor is an odd duck, but the music fit the times

And this song brings back many a memory, good and bad ~ it was that kind of song

I love the way the song builds to the chorus - it's so simple, but brilliant

Let's not forget Johnny Cash did a great cover of this song, too

Now if we're talking about a band that is the antithesis of good, that is hell & the worst thing created...

Every time I hear a song and think, "goddamnit I hate this song...who is this?!" Every frickin time, it's Train

I cannot stand that band

Pirate Aggro said...

Well... Lets keep in mind that Francis is enamored of Nickelback so I wouldn't put much stock in his musical criticism. I agree with your ideas about Train. Now Train in Vain is awesome though. And the song your so Vain is about Warren Betty who Carley Simon briefly dated. And the Warren Commission found that Lee Harvey acted alone. And the play Harvey is one of my faves.