Saturday, March 17, 2018

I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die by They Might Be Giants

Sometimes I feel like being wispy And once in a while I feel like being dry But we're doomed and we're drowned By this feeling we surround So I hope that I get old before I die
Ohhhhh It's a long, long rope they use to hang you soon I hope And I wonder why this hasn't happened Why, why, why And I think about the dirt that I'll be wearing for a shirt And I hope that I get old before I die
Clear off the kitchen table darling For on the kitchen table I must lie I'm just tired for my wife Served the banquet of my life And I hope that I get old before I die
Ohhhhh It's a long, long rope they use to hang you soon I hope And I wonder why this hasn't happened Why, why, why And I think about the dirt that I'll be wearing for a shirt And I hope that I get old before I die
Ohhhhh It's a long, long rope they use to hang you soon I hope And I wonder why this hasn't happened Why, why, why And I think about the dirt that I'll be wearing for a shirt And I hope that I get old before I die

4 comments:

Dan Tschirhart said...

This has always been one of my favorites off the first album

I still to this day catch myself singing this song at least once a month

It's just such a brilliantly odd song

I love the line 'Clear off the kitchen table darling, for on the kitchen table I must lie'

It's so bizarre, yet it creates such a great imagery

I love lyrics that paint pictures in our minds

Plus this song is so catchy and happy

It also reminds me of Ren & Stimpy, although I'm not sure why

I enjoy when you post songs that I already know by heart

It's fun to just watch the video and sing along

I remember you and I(Chris) were hanging out with Nancy Sherrod

~and her friend (whose name I can't recall) during our Sophomore year

~ And Nancy made a tape of TMBG's first two albums and it was like a musical Christmas morning

I got my musical Big Wheel

What an amazing start to a career with those two albums

~ And then they released Flood

We were floored by the brilliance - Well played TMBG

They have many, many gems in their catalog, but this song is one of their best

Aaron said...

Yes. It reminds me of ren and stimpy too. Because the song the lord loves a hanging is somenhow very simaler. Both songs are brilliant. Both songs bring me joy.

Pirate Aggro said...

Yes I remember that.
I just took Ziah to see them. I had to lie to get her in. The dude looked at her and said "is she 16?" I looked at her and said "Yes. Yes she is." I think I've seen them 4 times now. Maybe five. Their concerts are like big sing alongs.

Aaron said...

Lame