Friday, October 07, 2022

The Love Me Or Die by C.W. Stoneking

 I studied evil I can't deny

Was a hoodoo charm called a Love Me or DieA fingernail, a piece of her dressApocathery, Devil's behes'I will relate, the piteous consequence my mistakeFallin' slave to passin desireMakin' the dreaded Love me or Die
Against a Jungle primeval greenShe had the looks of a beauty queenNo bangles or chain, wearin' broken shoe75 cent bottle perfumeI said, "Good mornin'", I tipped my hatAll the while I was cunning like a ratSmilin gaily, looked her in the eyeI felt in my pocket, the Love me or Die
My past history, one to beholdI studied magic from days of oldMembership, secret societiesPower and wealth in my familyBut Matilda, darlingWhy you don't take my wedding ringLike a demon under the floorI buried the hoodoo down the back door
Lawd, word broke through the townThat a fever strike Matilda down9:30, the doctor arrivePriest come runnin, quarter to fiveStandin' in the weeds early next dayI saw the meat wagon rollin' awayI seen Matilda layin' in the backHer old mother wearin' a suit of black
Sound the trumpet, and bang the drumI wait for me judgement to comeI know her spirit is down beneathI hear the weepin' and gnashing of the teeth.Flames of Hell licks at my feetIn the shadow of the Jungle I feel the heatMatilda's waiting in Hell for me tooAll 'cause she died from a bad hoodoo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This song sounds like something you would hear in the background when you somehow found yourself in the middle of some hot summer night I’m some place that you have never been. Doing maybe something not quite legal. Also that tiger is going to eat that man. Also I think of white tank tops.

Dan Tschirhart said...

This song would fit perfectly in the movie Beetlejuice

Or a Dungeons and Dragons campaign in some bar in a town your party just barely made it to alive

I could also hear the Kingston Trio doing a version of this song

I love this type of music - where it just takes you back in time to the songs of old

It would be cool to have a movie soundtrack of only this music

Dan Tschirhart said...

It would be a dark turn in the movie, but I could see it in Bugsy Malone too