Friday, October 16, 2020

The Underdog by Spoon

 Picture yourself in a living room

Your pipe and slippers set out for you
I know you think that it ain't too far
But I
I hear a call of a lifetime ring
Felt the need to get up for it
Oh, you cut out the middleman
Get free from the middleman
You got no time for the messenger
Got no regard for the thing that you don't understand
You got no fear of the underdog
That's why you will not survive
I wanna forget how conviction fits
But can I get out from under it?
Can I cut it out of me? Oh, oh, oh
It can't all be wedding cake
It can't all be boiled away
I try but I can't let go of it
Can't let go of it
Uh-huh, 'cause you don't talk to the water boy
And there's so much you could learn but you don't wanna know
You will not back up an inch ever
That's why you will not survive
The thing that I tell you now
It may not go over well
Oh, and it may not be photo-op
In the way that I spell it out
But you won't hear from the messenger
Don't wanna know 'bout something that you don't understand
You got no fear of the underdog
That's why you will not survive, right!



2 comments:

Dan Tschirhart said...

I used this song in a lighting project in college

I had a bunch of random things on stage and lit them up at strategic moments within the song

I heard it moved people

I'd have to say this is Spoon's best song

It's a catchy little ditty

I enjoy the video and its' one long continuous shot

Reminds me of a couple movies with continuous shots

Children of Men had an amazing part

Of course Birdman's scene which was fantastic

And recently 1917 had one in that happy, optimistic film

I didn't realize at first that one of the main characters was the young king from Game of Thrones

but I've heard it wasn't actually just one take, and was pieced together from a handful of scenes

It was still cool though

You gotta watch out for that underdog

And I always root for the underdog, because every dog his day

Unless it's against my team, but even then I guess it's ok

It makes for a good story


Pirate Aggro said...

YES! I remember that assignment from lighting class. Mine was called yellow pudding continually illuminated to the strains of 'Can't Touch This'. I kid. I did have the assignment though. I just cant remember what I did.

I would think that a one take movie like Birdman would be VERY stressful to be in because if you screw up and you are the waiter at the end that hands the star the bill and you trip and crash onto the table sending food flying... well lets just say it would not be good.

I did hear that one of the stars of saving private Ryan was almost killed by Spielberg because he threw a grenade in the wrong direction during the D-Day sequence leading to something like 1000 extras and 100 ships having to turn around and reset and when Spielberg asked him why the hell he said "I don't know it was an impulse."